25 October 2013

The UK Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) is further exploring the potential for the meningococcal group B (MenB) vaccine.

In July this year the JCVI announced their interim decision that it couldn’t recommend implementation of the MenB vaccine because of insufficient evidence and questions over the vaccines cost effectiveness.

Before sharing their position statement expected in November, the JCVI invited our member organisations Meningitis Now and the Meningitis Research Foundation, among others, to provide feedback on this decision.

After today’s announcement Chief Executive of Meningitis Now, Sue Davie said, “This statement shows that our campaigning is working, with the JCVI considering the new information submitted during the consultation. This means that the vaccine is still very much an option.”

Chief Executive of the Meningitis Research Foundation, Christopher Head added, “We are very pleased to see that our detailed report has been taken seriously enough for the JCVI to commission the further analysis which we, and other organisations, appealed for.”

JCVI’s statement today assures everyone that they are well aware of the seriousness of MenB disease and that the further analysis will be completed as quickly as possible.

The JCVI will meet again in October but the minutes with the full details won’t be released until mid-November.