Personal Meningitis Stories
Kathryn & Michael
Bob & Dee Dee
On the 25 February 2004, our healthy 20-year-old daughter, Becky, died unexpectedly from meningitis. Becky's death was, and continues to be, an unfathomable concept. We still cannot grasp the idea that she is gone...
I was affected by meningococcal meningitis about 10 years ago, when I lost my legs and fingers because of the disease. At the time, I thought that I had lost everything, including my dreams. One day, I met a man who changed my life...
It was Christmas Eve 2005. The windows of Christmas lights flickered. Most of Krakow was preparing its Christmas supper. Andrez Kuczara was in a hospital corridor, his heart tearing with despair...
Bev & Riley
Riley was teething at the time he contracted meningitis so his initial loss of appetite and irritability was not unusual. He seemed fine in the morning but by lunchtime was unsettled and had a slight temperature...
In 1995, Kathryn was shaken to the core of her existence with the sudden death of her 19-year-old son Michael from meningococcal meningitis and septicaemia. Michael wasn't feeling well on Friday. Four days later, he died.
I was four years old. A healthy and happy child. That day, for the first time, I had a fever and did not feel well at all. But for the rest of the week, no symptoms of my sickness showed.
I started at the University of Leeds in September 2007. I was having fun, had made many friends and was enjoying my first taste of independence. I had danced since I was young...
On 14 May 2007, a beautiful blonde, blue-eyed little boy named Dylan Robert McNeil was born into this world. His smile and love for life was contagious. He was a blessing to so many lives, in many different ways...
In August 2016, at age 30, I had reached the peak of my career. I landed my dream job travelling around Australia for work in aged care. I was happy. I was independent. But my life was turned upside in a matter of hours.
On the 2nd of January 2017, I woke up at around 5am with uncontrollable, whole body convulsions. Although I couldn’t stop shaking, I passed this off as just being cold, put 2 more duvets on me, and went back to sleep. This should have been my first warning sign
This is the story of my son Mathias, who was just two weeks short of turning 18, and it started with a tick bite on his stomach on a Wednesday morning in July 2019 while we were playing tennis...
Around 5pm that evening I laid Sage in his Rock and Play, gave him some Tylenol for his fever, and made our other son, Skye, dinner. While Skye was eating he tried to get Sage's attention, but Sage stared back at him blankly...
More personal stories
Bonnie had been sick for a couple of days around Christmas of 1990. We went to her doctor and he thought she had the flu. He prescribed an antibiotic. She seemed to be getting better, but a few days later Bonnie came home from school feeling very ill...
Jim, Sue and Bonnie
My name is Nathalie and I live with my family in Beirut, Lebanon. Alexandra, my daughter (seen on the right), is 4 years old. She has had her vaccines against meningitis type A, C, W but she contracted the Type B. Alexandra was a perfectly healthy little girl...
On 8 February 2011, I received a phone call that devastated my life forever. My son, Nicolis, has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. He’d woken that morning at college with a bad headache and high fever...